Tuesday, January 26, 2010

genuine?

Ok, so here is the deal…

The economy is terrible and everyone knows it. People are losing their jobs left and right. Students don’t want to leave college for fear that there will be nothing waiting for them. And now a hurricane struck Haiti– what else could happen?

Q: When the world is looking for help, who do we turn to?

A: Apparently the king of Sean Jean, Ciroc vodka, and the hip hop world. None other than P. Diddy himself. Or Sean Combs. Or Puff Daddy. Or… never mind.

I found this video and at first I thought, “how sweet of him to help out the homeless.” The video is of Diddy leaving a club, buying roses for his entourage, and giving a homeless man $100. (I thought this was a nice tie in with “It’s all about the Benjamins” song we all know and love.) I digress.

And it is sweet. Celebrities giving away their money to the less fortunate is a great act of charity. It is selfless and genuine. Or is it?

What could be taken as a great gesture could also just be a PR ploy. He knows the cameras are there. He knows they are paparazzi and will soon post their video online if they aren’t already as they film it. So was he giving out of the goodness of his heart or out of the goodness of publicity?

I’m sure Diddy was just being a good citizen and trying to help someone out, but you cannot deny the great timing and the fact that it was on video for the world to see. If he really wants change in the world, give to an organization that makes great things happen for people everyday like The Salvation Army, United Way, or the Red Cross, to name a few. They will make sure that $100 doesn’t end up as a fifth of whiskey and a dime of marijuana. I can’t help but be biased about the homeless. They surround me everyday in Austin and ask for money only to get picked up later by their parents in a 7.45Li BMW. Yes, I have seen it happen.

Please, celebrities, can you all follow in the footsteps of your peers and give to organizations and nonprofits? Don’t give out cash in front of cameras to people who will most likely throw it down the drain along with their lives.

So if you’re ever in need of, say $100, who ya gonna call? Hopefully not P Diddy!

Until the next paparazzi stunt, Liz.

[Via http://lizkelley.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment